Wednesday, October 3, 2012

COSTUMES #2


Halloween 2009. Game on!... to figure out what the kids wanted to be for Halloween..Stephen was only five and one of the things he loved most at the time was ice cream. I thought maybe an ice cream sundae costume. I ran it by him and he was excited! Next on the agenda...a little "recon". I scoured the Internet for ideas and came across a costume on pottery barn. Except it was a cupcake,but it gave me the thought of how I can put my own spin on it. It was a big hit!

SO HOW DID I DO IT???

EASY.....A PILLOWCASE, FELT, PAPER MACHE, A WHITE BASEBALL CAP,  COLORED FOAM PIECES FROM THE CRAFT STORE, A FOAM BALL AND A LITTLE FIBER FILL.

...AND HERE IT IS ***** NO SEWING***** FABRIC GLUE IS THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD!!!!
HERE ARE THE STEPS..

1. regular white pillowcase ( I got mine at a thrift store for $0.99). cut a slit on the sealed part of the pillowcase for the head. Also, a slit on each side for each arm

2. I bought a few yards of felt (white,brown,,pink,off white and grey)(marshmallow,chocolate,strawberry,vanilla,and grey for the dish)

3. Next I cut each color(except the white felt) into the shape of a scoop of ice cream and grey into the shape of a dish. 2 pieces each color for the front and back.

4. Next, I fabric glued each piece to the pillowcase (one piece each side, front and back) leaving a small "pocket" open under a few of the "scoops" to fill it with fiberfill. This gives the scoops a little more volume.

5. I then took the fabric glue to seal the scoops together.

6. For the marshmallow, I cut the shape (dripping down the sides), out of white felt. I then slit a whole in the middle to slide it over the hole in the top of the pillowcase. Then I glued it to the top of the pillowcase.

7. Next, glue the small pieces of colored foam onto the marshmallow for the sprinkles.

8. For the "CHERRY ON TOP" I took a foam ball covered it in paper mache(I bought pre- made paper mache from the craft store..just add water..)Let it dry, painted it red, and glued it to the top of the hat. Just grab a branch from your back yard for the stem and TADAH!!! A COSTUME IS BORN!!!

The most important thing when making any costume is to have fun! Don't be overwhelmed because it doesn't have to be perfect! It's a great time to have fun and be creative with the kids. Don't forget to use your coupons and thrift store finds. This costume cost about 15$ dollars to make and the memories it made were PRICELESS!!!!! HAVE FUN!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment